If you’re giving the Gift of Dirt this holiday season, the last thing we want to see on Christmas morning are our kids crying over a brand-new dirt bike or four-wheeler… that won’t start.
We’ve compiled this guide with helpful tips and tricks to make sure our kids are riding through the mud rather than sinking in it.
WHAT TO DO BEFORE CHRISTMAS MORNING…
To get our big presents ready, we’ve got two scenarios for you: if you’re hiding the present at your home, or if we’re hiding it for you.
If you’re hiding the present:
- Make sure it starts!
- Check the choke: this is a simple check, but an often forgotten one; it should be on before you try turning over your unit.
- Check the battery: when it’s cold, batteries tend to run dead a bit quicker. If it is dead, try charging it back up or grab a jump pack from our store–you can also order Noco Jump Starters here.
- Let it run for a little bit!
- Especially if it’s cold, let it idle for about 10 to 15 minutes (or as long as you can spare away from the kids).
- Check the gas: do you have enough? Do you have extra? ‘Cause the kids are gonna use it all.
If you’re picking it up from us:
- We’ve got a pick-up deadline of Friday, December 23. We’ll be open 9AM to 6PM.
- We recommend getting all of your paperwork completed ahead of time, so if you’re picking up the day of, we can just get it loaded up and send you on your way with minimal hassle.
- If you have any additional questions, please don’t wait to reach out to your salesperson. We are always ready to help and make sure your Christmas runs as smoothly as possible.
WHAT TO DO ON CHRISTMAS MORNING…
Today’s the day! Whether we gift-wrap, put on a bow, or just ride it out from the shed, we’ve got a few things to remember:
- Don’t forget to have that choke on.
- Have it on to start and warm your unit, then after about a minute, slowly turn it off.
- Listen to your idle–if you shut off the choke too quickly, your idle will drop suddenly and the unit will stop running.
- Let it warm up, especially if it’s cold out.
- Those smaller carbs on dirt bikes and ATVs take a little longer to warm up before riding. Give it a good 10 minutes or so, depending on the temperature outside.
- Keep an eye out for little ones’ hands: the unit will get HOT around the engine and exhaust.
- And most importantly, let it rip and have fun!
FOR YOUR AFTER-CHRISTMAS MAINTENANCE…
The fun doesn’t stop on Christmas Day. Keep it going through the years and generations with some basic upkeep. As always, reach out to our Service Department for any major repairs or additional concerns–we’ll keep you running for miles and miles to come.
- Keep that battery good
- Best recommendation: keep in the shed or garage on a tender. This is will maintain the battery without overcharging it while the unit is being stored.
- Alternatively, you can start the unit at least once a month and let it run for about 10 to 15 minutes, if you aren’t using it on a regular basis.
- Don’t let that fuel go bad
- If the unit will be sitting for a few months without consistent use, put a fuel stabilizer in your gas so it doesn’t go bad.
- The Basics of the Basic
- Change your oil & filter to the levels and at the intervals specified in your manual.
- Check your tire pressures periodically, especially in the cold weather.
- For your dirt bikes, clean and lube the chain at regular intervals, but especially after a muddy weekend.
EXTRA GIFT IDEAS…
If you’re still searching for that perfect addition to your Christmas gifting, we’ve got recommendations on riding gear, casual wear, and maintenance supplies. Check through this list or visit us in-store for the latest sales and expert help on fitment.
- Riding Gear & Wearables
- Helmets: we carry Bell, Fox, Troy Lee Designs, Answer, and more. Look for the yellow MIPS dots for an extra layer of safety.
- Boots: we’ve got options for trail riding from Fox and for motocross from Alpinestars, plus boots for the little tikes from Thor and Answer.
- Jerseys, Gloves, and Pants: every color, shape, and size you can think of, we’ve got it.
- Protective Wear: Chest protectors, knee & elbow guards, neck braces, etc. Whether you’re training the next champion at Redbud or just need the best for your kid, we’ve got something for everyone.
- Casual shirts, hoodies, hats, & beanies: for when all else fails and you can’t think of anything else to get them… These make for perfect stocking-stuffers AND are mix-and-match BOGO 50% off, in-store only.
***Not sure on what size to get? No worries! We guarantee sizing, so keep those receipts and tags, and we can exchange it through the end of January. For more details, read our full policy here.
- Chain cleaner & lube for dirt bikes: choose from VP Racing, Motul, and more–though Motul makes a full kit with a chain brush…
- Cleaners: it’s gonna get muddy… we can accept that. But it doesn’t have to stay that way. While we love the options from Muc-Off, we carry all of your favorite cleaners for every kind of ride.
- Fuel stabilizer: if there’s only a small chance it’ll sit for a few months, get this just in case–Startron and K100 are always in stock and will keep your fuel from going bad.
- Oil & Filters: we’ve got the OEM Honda/Yamaha in our Parts Department, and all of the aftermarket next door at our accessory store, Sprocketz (plus VP Race Gas). If you don’t know exactly what you need, any of our associates can help you find the right stuff.
- Battery tenders: we keep BikeMaster tenders in stock. Every battery needs one.
- Jump packs: we all let the batteries die. It happens. We’ve got Noco Jump Packs in stock specially made for smaller batteries in motorcycles, dirt bikes, and ATVs.
- Tire pressure gauges: hey, everyone could use one. And we’ve got plenty.
Richmond Honda House
7906 West Broad Street
Richmond, Va 23294
Call or Text 804-270-0123