2017 Honda Pioneer 500 - Details:
Full-Sized Features in a Fun-Sized Package.
Choosing the right tool is the job half done. And it can make whatever you’re trying to do a lot more fun.
For thousands of side-by-side owners, the right tool for the job is a Honda Pioneer 500. It’s big enough to seat two easily, but at just 50 inches wide, it can fit where bigger side-by-sides can’t, letting you explore trails with width restrictions. That means it also fits into a full-sized pickup’s bed easily. But the Pioneer 500 still offers plenty of power, and is loaded with features, including for 2017, a new automatic transmission with AT/MT modes. And then there are the best features of all: Honda quality and dependability.
Compact. Affordable. And Best of All, Fun.
Don’t be fooled by the Pioneer 500’s trim size. It’s a giant in terms of where it can take you and the jobs it can do. Its powerful 500-class engine is built to deliver plenty of low-rpm torque and a wide powerband. The new automatic five-speed electric-shift transmission still has a manual mode with paddle shifters, so you can choose to let it shift automatically, or switch over into MT mode—even on the fly. Got something to tow? The Pioneer 500 can handle a 1000-pound towing load, and the rear rack can hold 450 pounds.
Independent Rear Suspension combines with an open front differential and a locked rear axle to give you precise handling and power to both rear wheels full time. New for 2017: dual-rate springs give you a smoother ride for all-day comfort, and there’s even a new Green color option.
- Powerful 500-Class Engine: Coupled with an efficient five-speed automatic transmission, the Pioneer 500’s engine features electronic fuel injection for effortless cold-weather and high-altitude operation. It’s specially tuned for low-rpm torque, too.
- Semi-Dry-Sump Engine: Compact and lighter weight, the Pioneer 500’s overhead-valve, semi-dry-sump design creates an engine that’s not only shorter from top to bottom, but one that enhances handling with a low center of gravity and favorable ground clearance.
- Longitudinal Engine Mounting: The Pioneer 500 is built around our strong, single-cylinder, 475cc longitudinal engine. By orienting the crankshaft front to back in the chassis, we route the flow of power straight to the wheels without any right-angle detours, reducing powertrain friction and putting more grunt to the ground.
- Liquid Cooling: Our time-tested Honda engine is liquid-cooled, which provides more consistent operating temperatures and more power than a comparable air-cooled motor. This adds up to better performance and longer engine life.
- Closed-Loop Fuel Injection: Better cold-weather and high-altitude running, effortless startups, great fuel efficiency and less pollution—that’s what the Pioneer 500’s “closed loop” fuel-injection system means for you. And that’s what we call a win/win situation.
- 1000-Pound Towing Capacity: The Pioneer 500 has a heavy-duty receiver-style hitch and 1000-pound towing capacity.
- Fun, Sporty Ride: With 5.9 inches of travel at the front wheels and 8.5 inches of ground clearance, the Pioneer 500 can negotiate rough trails with ease. And the Pioneer 500’s suspension is tuned for a fun, sporty ride too.
- Paddle Shifters: If you want to shift manually, simply upshift and downshift without ever having to take your hands off the wheel. You get to choose the exact gear you want, and it’s engineered for precise, smooth shifts.
- New Automatic Transmission with AT/MT Mode: For 2017, you can let the Honda Pioneer 500’s new automatic transmission shift for you, or you can still shift yourself with its paddle shifters. You can even shift from auto to manual (AT to MT) on the fly!
- Dual Rate Springs: A spring is a spring, right? Sure, all springs may look alike, but the Pioneer 500s feature new dual-rate springs for 2017, and after one ride you’ll feel the difference. You get a smoother ride over smaller bumps with more bottoming resistance on bigger bumps, along with a more confident steering feel.
- Traxlok 4WD: Our rock-solid system lets you choose either 2WD or 4WD, giving you the freedom to choose between lighter steering (in 2WD) and maximizing available traction (in 4WD) when you need it most.
- Strong Gearbox: Unlike the belt-drive automatics out there, the Pioneer 500 features an AT/MT mode transmission that uses rugged, steel gears. You get true compression braking for superior controllability (especially when descending hills), as well as long transmission life.
- Compact 50“ Width: The Pioneer 500’s 50-inch overall width is a huge bonus. Whether it’s for width-restricted trails or convenient transportation and storage, the Pioneer 500 can go where just about no other side-by-side can!
- Rear Carrier Design: With the unique steel rear carrier design, the Pioneer 500 gives you tremendous versatility when it comes to securing loads. Special tiedown-hook securing points make it even easier, and the rack’s 450-pound rating gives you plenty of carrying capacity, too.
- Headlights: 35-watt headlights provide clean, crisp light to get you through any adventure, day or night.
- Side-By-Side Seating: With a comfortable bench-style seat, individual backrests and seatbelts for both rider and passenger, the Pioneer 500 offers side-by-side comfort and excellent maneuverability.
- Independent Rear Suspension (IRS): The Pioneer 500’s fully independent rear suspension means you get a smooth ride, especially over rough terrain.
- Driver/Passenger Protection: The Pioneer 500 is loaded with features to help provide a feeling of security for the driver and passengers. The Occupant Protection Structure uses sturdy, large-diameter tubing, and includes integrated handholds, recessed top tubes and a more spacious structure to enhance protection; it also meets OSHA’s 1928.53 rollover protective structure standard. Hard doors and roll-up side nets provide a secure feel and keep mud and debris out of the cabin, while automotive-style three-point belts with an Emergency Locking Retractor mechanism help keep everyone secure.
- Single-Function Door/Net: The Pioneer 500 comes standard with doors, and the occupant net is directly attached—just unlock and open the door, and the net automatically swings aside making entry and exit easier.
- Engine Type: 475cc liquid-cooled, single cylinder four-stroke
- Bore And Stroke: 92.0 mm x 71.5 mm
- Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
- Induction: Electronic fuel injection (PGM-FI), 36 mm throttle body
- Ignition: Full-transistorized type with electronic advance
- Clutch: Automatic
- Transmission: Five-speed automatic transmission with AT/MT modes with paddle shifting and reverse. Two drive modes include 2WD and 4WD.
- Driveline: Direct front and rear driveshafts
- Front Suspension: Independent double-wishbone; 5.9 in. travel
- Rear Suspension: Independent double-wishbone with preload adjustablility; 5.9 in. travel
- Front Brake: Dual 200 mm hydraulic disc
- Rear Brake: 170 mm hydraulic disc
- Front Tires: Dual 24 x 8-12
- Rear Tires: 24 x 10-12
- Length: 102.6 in.
- Width: 50.0 in.
- Height: 71.3 in.
- Wheelbase: 73 in.
- Towing Capacity: 1000 lb.
- Ground Clearance: 8.5 in.
- Turning Radius: 12.8 ft.
- Curb Weight: 1025 lb. – Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel.
- Fuel Capacity: 4.1 gal., including 1.1-gal. reserve
- Safety: Recommended for drivers 16 years of age and older.
- Available Colors: Red, Green
- Model ID: SXS500M2
- Duration: One Year
- Description: Transferable limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan
Suggested Retail Price (SRP) excludes destination charge. Visit powersports.honda.com to view applicable destination charge amount.